Tuesday, March 17, 2009

"and Jesus sat on them...and Jesus entered Jerusalem." - Matthew 21:17,18


Remember, Jesus had freed a donkey tied to a post. He took an ordinary, discarded, unappreciated animal, freed it from it's bondage and gave him the privilege of carrying the Lord of all creation. Simply put, He made the donkey extraordinary. So because of this awesome gift, we then out of love and gratitude, carry Christ every where we go. The problem comes when we get tired of carrying Him. I mean face it, He just gets heavy at times.

Now that I live in Colorado I've had many opportunities to climb mountains. Brook and I will be climbing Pikes Peak this summer. It is sixteen miles to the top. I can't imagine carrying Brook to the top. That would be a climb I don't believe I could finish.

However, that's our purpose. We will face mountains and valleys, yet we are to carry Christ up and through them all.

Sometimes we go places that God is not welcome. So we kindly ask him to dismount, taking a rope and tying Him to the post outside to wait. What a sight. The very one who freed us, gave us a purpose, took us from an ordinary existence and made us extraordinary, we tie to a post.

Seems crazy right. Yet we do it every day. People who know that when they are a Christ-carrier there are certain places they can't go and certain thing they can not do, yet they exclude Christ from their life when they tie Him to a post, taking an extraordinary God and making Him ordinary.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is an awesome thing that we have constant access to God through the troubles and the joyous times in our lives. What a great reminder for me, that I should think of everyday and be sure NEVER to put God on that post outside.

Brook said...

You know that I love this lesson. However, I could not get past your example of carrying someone on your back up a mountain. Could you not have picked someone other than me to call too heavy to carry :) I know what you're saying, but come on! I think you would be tying God to a post if you left me on the mountain...didn't see that coming did ya? ..."never leave your partner behind"-Fireproof