Thursday, April 24, 2008

Volume

In Jonah 2:8 it says "those who cling to worthless idols, they forfeit the grace that could be theirs." This week I found out that the word Grace here is, in the original language, Hesed. It means loving kindness, or it means, very literally, the pursuing love of God. It says in this verse that those who cling to the stupid, worthless, unimportant, insignificant things of this world that do not matter, they forfeit the Hesed, very litterally, "The pursuing love of God". So I asked myself this question. "What have I put in my life; what idol, what worthless thing stands between me and God. Wow it's amazing how such a little thing can keep us from trully obtaining all that God has to offer. Sometimes it is the smallest changes that make such a large difference. If I just change or remove some of the things that I have put in your place I am able to realize how much you love me. VOLUME, if I change the volume of my life, if I turn down the things that block me from you I realize how much you love me... if I Rearrange the volume in my life I get ULOVME

6 comments:

Brook said...

WOW, THIS IS SO INSIGHTFUL. WHAT A CREATIVE WAY TO EXPLAIN REORDERING OUR PRIORITIES! YOU ARE THE BEST BLOGGER EVER, AND THIS IS MY FAVORITE BLOG TO READ! DID I MENTION THAT YOU ARE AMAZING?

Question: What answer did you come up with when you asked yourself what idol you put between you and God?

Anonymous said...

I heard a story about a lizard that got its head stuck in a Dr. Pepper can because it was drawn to the drops of sugary water inside the can. The lizard worked so hard to get its head in the can it could not get out and it suffocated in the heat. We are like the lizard sometimes... looking for the water of our hearts and souls...needing relief. We just need to be careful where we are looking and how we choose to satisfy our needs. The story ends by saying the lizards choice was deceptive and a deathtrap. Shawn you always inspire and challenge me!!!

NaNa's Nonsense said...

Thanks for the lesson. We turn up the volume in too many places in our lives. When we focus on the volume of one we appreciate of the volume of others and tune out the negative volume that deafens us before!

Cindy Gray said...

Love this...and love you!

Cindy Gray said...

Anxiously waiting for a new post.

Cindy Gray said...

More, more, more, more... Post more!